Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Job

Alright God,
So I opened my bible and you led me to Job. I'm only a few chapters in and so far you've got me. Here was Job, a pleasing servant of Your's, You even stated "There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.(Job 1:8)" You gave satan permission to test him, just not to take his life.  So here Job was on a normal day and in moments everything was taken from him. I mean to think about it in present day terms it would be as if a person was going about their day as normal and suddenly they get the news that they have lost their job, their bank accounts were cleaned out, every possesion and their home destroyed, and finally their children were killed in a horrible freak accident.  I can't even imagine the pain and anguish Job must have felt in that moment. But the amazing thing is instead of looking up and asking You "Why God, why would you allow this. I have done all you have asked of me." He, in his mourning looked up to the heavens and praised Your name.  It really puts a whole new meaning on the phrase "Praising You through the storm".  But I think the most profound thing Job has said so far in my reading was in chapter 2.  You allowed satan to test him by sickness, Job broke out in sores, according to the bible from the bottom of his feet to the crown of his head. While sitting in agony, Job's wife looks at him and asks “Are you still maintaining your integrity? Curse God and die!(job 2:9)”  Pretty much she was saying, you have nothing left, why are you still holding on?  So here's where Job got me, he looks at his wife and says “You are talking like a foolish[b] woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble? (job 2:10)” 

So many times we christians seem to think of You as a cure all pill. When in fact we were warned that the christian walk is anything but easy. In John 16:33 Jesus stated “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” It's not about being worry free or never facing heartache, everyone and I mean everyone is going to face it at some point and time. It's about never walking alone. Knowing that despite what comes we walk with the Almighty. Like I said, I'm only a few chapters in but I know that in the end You restored Job giving him twice what He had before.  You restored him and promise to restore us.  Though my circumstances have not ever come close to Job's, this past year I have faced many, many hardships.  But with each hardship Justin and I have grown in You. You restore us, not to the same as we were before, but to something better.  I knew even at the age of 13, knelt on that altar giving my heart to You for the first time, when You told me that I was going to do work for Your kingdom that it was going to be hard.  I knew the same at the age of 15 when You told me that I would go into the ministry. I also knew it at the age of 22 when You led Justin and I to reach out to a generation that is falling away from You. But with each time, You put such a fire in me! You filled me with a peace and a want to jump up and change the world.  I wonder if that's what kept Job going. Was it a peace and a flame that You placed in his heart for You? Was it that Job knew that You would never forsake him and would restore him?  I also wonder if Job had any clue that a couple of thousand years later, a 23 year old would open her bible and You would speak to her through his story.  Did Job know he was part of a bigger plan?  I sometimes wonder in times of trouble, if I'm not part of something bigger that's going on of which I will never see the results, but is for Your glory. Either way, Father I want in times of trouble to not throw up my hands in anger. I know there have been times I have given up over such little things, but I don't want to be that way anymore. If anyone had excuse to lie down and say God I can't go on anymore, it was Job. So if he could hold his head up and praise You, then I have no excuse. Father thank you for everything! I am so blessed. You have surrounded me with people who love me and lift me up when I feel as though I can't go on! Thank You for allowing me just to sit in Your presence.
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment