Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Monday, March 21, 2011

life is a highway...

I'm planning on doing my day 6 tonight, but I can't help but think of a conclusion my husband and I came to the other night. As Christians, we talk often about how God has set a path before us, or stay on the straight and narrow road. We happened to be going down the interstate the other day and the comment came about, that our lives are like the interstate. God lays down this big road in front of you and gives you a destination.  Hypothetically, you have a car that never runs out of gas and everything you need in the car, because we believe as Christians that God provides all we need. So it makes sense that you would just floor it right? An straight road, with no red lights, and all we need. So why wouldn't we have a lead foot down this open road?



Yep just a big ole' open road to God. So why is it that we find ourselves not rolling on it sometimes. My husband and I came to the conclusion that it is because the devil has set up tourist traps! That's right! Tourist traps!

I mean seriously, the kid in all of us, wants to see the worlds largest McDonald's!
or the hole in the rock!

and who wouldn't want to stop here?

You can't tell me your not the least bit interested in eating with a giant cowboy!

and why is it we all want to know what "the thing" really is?

The devil gets us trapped, by going, "Oh just take a break for a little while, look I have fun stuff over here! Aren't you tired of traveling?" And we fall for it, we take the exit, knowing that it will put us off course, knowing that we should keep our eyes focused on the prize. I can't think of a better example of this other than when I was about 10 years old. My grandparents were taking me and my cousin Amy to Disney world.  We drove, and to a 10 and 6 year old, it is a terribly long drive. But so worth it! We were going to Disney world after all! But I remember, it was probably about 35-40 miles outside of our condo, Amy and I saw a billboard "Largest McDonald's Playground, NEXT EXIT!" Oh we begged my grandpa! "Please, please, please, PLEASE!!!!" But my Grandpa would not waiver on his decision that we would stay the course. He knew that it would throw us off schedule and something much greater awaited us ahead. How I love my grandpa, for filling my life with Godly examples! Just like Disney world awaited me and Amy, something much greater awaits all of us! God has planned greatness for all of us, none of us were made to sit idly by and watch others!

Another reason we get off course is this,
We go the wrong direction because we do not consult the map.  I believe that we as Christians are failing at staying in the word of God daily. Notice I said we, I am totally including myself in that statement. We have a map right in front of us, and here in America, the freedom to read it! So many of our brothers and sisters through out the world, would do anything for the freedom to read it in public and to share it. But some face penalty of death for even dreaming such. We take it for granted! I want to end this with a verse that has God has spoken to me many times with....

Hebrews 12;1-3
 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

 Father, it's my birthday today, thank You for creating me for great purposes for Your honor. It is my prayer this year that we as Christians will truly fix our eyes on You! That we will ignore the tourist traps and stay the course, I pray for all of us, that we do not grow weary or lose heart and that we all find strength in You!

No comments:

Post a Comment